Introductory Post

Hello, INFO 287! One year ago, I began my MLIS journney. Now, I begin my fourth and final term. Last January, I was working part time for a public library, plus substitute teaching, and wondering if I would have enough time for 10 units of online courses. Next thing I knew, I had no job, no where to go, 10 units, and plenty of time. Thanks to financial aid and unemployment insurance, I could afford to take 9 more units over the summer and 12 in the fall. By October I was employed full-time and things got a little hectic, but I figured how to make it all work. I’ve decided to power through and finish in four terms. In addition to this class, I’m taking INFO 232-Issues in Public Libraries, INFO 281 – Cultural Competence for Information Professionals, and INFO 289 the e-Portfolio!!!! My goal is to work at a public library or the California State Library, but I also plan to apply for jobs at local community college libraries.

I live in Galt, California, with my dairy farmer husband, 15-year-old daughter, 19-year-old son (who is away at college), two dogs, four cats, a bearded dragon, a rotating assortment of foster kittens, chickens, and of course, cows. Light running and yoga keep me sane. When I have time (i.e. NOT right now), I enjoy gardening, kayaking, and hiking. Last summer, we took up backpacking and have some amazing trips planned for Summer 2021.

I call this a mid-life career change, but I’m not sure I’ve ever had a true career. I went to college right out of high school and left with a degree in psychology. I worked a series of jobs, traveled, and tried to figure out what I wanted to be. By my thirties, I was an elementary school teacher. This worked well while raising kids and helping out on the farm. I’m a good teacher, but I never felt fully invested in a teaching career. I bounced between full-time and part-time, and eventully started re-evaluating my future. I found the part-time public library job almost by accident, and magic happened. The library allowed me to indulge my passion for helping people – diverse people – teaching, learning, my endless curiosity, my fondness for pulling threads and following them to the end. Libraries offer these opportunities for employees AND patrons! This is it – this is what I want to be when I grow up. I’m only 54 – growing up never ends.

One thought on “Introductory Post