Categories
Uncategorized

Director’s Brief: Podcasting for All

Hey all, as I sit here and think of the power of stories, it seems like each day while we shelter in place something different is emerging. Something happy, something sad, something worth sharing and even something worth documenting. For example: today I attended a distanced barbecue, yesterday on a walk with family we ran into a sidewalk “social distancing hang-out” among neighbors; it was pretty cool!

Each of our recent journeys, though vastly different, could be shared with others easily by way of podcast! As a community we can learn from one another, help one another, and build with one another by sharing out. The scripture reading from St. Paul: “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things…” comes to mind.

Creating a podcast is one digital way of sharing with the world who we are, what we’ve done, and where were going to next! Believe it or not this could be you, and you most likely have all that you need to record and publish a podcast from home now; it doesn’t take much.

Photo by ConvertKit on Unsplash

In my Director’s Brief shared below, I explore the idea of podcasting as a new participatory service for San Mateo County Libraries. Dr. Michael Stephens mentioned in the “Hyperlinked Communities” video lecture earlier this semester that “hyperlinks are people too,” and I feel like that statement is the essence of podcasting right now!

Here’s a snippet from my Director’s Brief:

“Public libraries today are all about embracing change and putting patrons at the forefront. At San Mateo County Libraries we offer a plethora of great options for our staff, library branches, and system as whole to communicate with the public. We have strong partnerships with community members, local businesses, organizations, and even our schools; but we have yet provided an opportunity to let our everyday patrons have an active voice at our “systemwide table.” Offering patrons a platform to be heard systemwide is something we need to explore. Not to mention, this participatory style service addresses a main point listed in our Strategic Plan: “Spot opportunities to deliver services beyond buildings” (para. 3).”

Hope you all enjoy and have a blessed weekend. Hang in there we’ve only got a few assignments to go!