Hello world!

Welcome to my Hyperlinked Library Page. Magic is in the air whenever you open a new book. I hope you all enjoy adventures through new worlds as much as I do!

Here is a little bit about me. I am a graduate student who is also working at a chiropractic college as a Library Assistant. I spend most of my free time reading books, I have read over 400 books in the last two and a half years. Which is a huge accomplishment for me. I grew up with a learning disability that made reading extremely challenging and it has taken a lot of practice and work to get myself to a place where reading 400 books is possible. That list does not include reading for class or my MSc dissertation.  I am obsessed with science fiction, fantasy, and any kind of fiction that transports me to somewhere else. I also really like urban fantasy. If you can’t tell by my page name, I have a thing for unicorns. In reality its a thing for mythical creatures, folklore, and mythology. It has always fascinated me. I was that child always pretending to be a fairy or something magical and fierce.

My dream is to become a subject librarian specializing in Anthropology, Archaeology, or Human Osteology and Palaeopathology. I have two degrees already, a BA in Anthropology and a MSc in Human Osteology and Palaeopathology. I am in the process of starting my own podcast about how culture and literature influence each other. It is slow going, hopefully episode one will be ready before this month ends. I hope to get to know everyone better. 

I chose this course because I have always been fascinated with technology and emerging technologies. The idea of looking at libraries and library services from a different perspection, and looking at how tech and make a library more innovative and exciting to young people is something that I am extremely interested in. This course sounds really interesting, and I liked the video lectures from Michael Stephens in Information Communites, he was very interesting and passionate about what he was talking about. 

I have may interests in the LIS world, I am extremely interested in the processes of being a specialty librarian at a university or college. I currently work in a small specialty library catered towards chiropractic students and it is extremely fasinating. This is part of the reason my dream job would be to  be a subject librarian for an anthropology program. I also have an interest in teen and children services in libraries. I have spent my entire adult life working with children and I love watching them learn and find interest in things they didn’t think were cool to begin with. Libraries are not as exciting for children now because of the amount of information available online. Using Tech to encourage children to enjoy learning and library time is something I am passionate about learning more about. 

Below is a picture of my baby, Moose. He is my boyfriends dog who I have pseudo-adopted. He is a Yorkshire terrier-Australian terrier mix.

3 thoughts on “Hello world!

1. Hello! I also have a B.A. in anthropology, and I’m a big science fiction and fantasy fan. Much respect for reading 400 books in the last two years. I haven’t been reading as much as I used to, especially since I started school. Good luck on achieving your dream! It seems like you are well on your way there.

2. Hi Desiree! Sounds like you love to learn and absorb information. Congrats on all that you’ve accomplished thus far. Wow…400+ books in two and a half years. Impressive. And Moose is adorable.