Categories
Uncategorized

AR you tech savvy yet?

Goals/Objectives for Technology or Service:

To give patrons the confidence and autonomy to use library technologies including, but not limited to, computer stations, printing stations, 3D printers, laser cutters, ipads, online catalogs and more. Click here to check out a prototyped version!

Description of Community you wish to engage:

I hope to engage the older adult community. Ideally, this emerging technology plan will help anyone new to certain technologies however it will be mostly helpful to seniors over the age of 65. According the Census, there are about 73 million baby boomers on earth (2019). Adults are considered part of the boomer generation if they were born between 1946 and 1964 (2019).

Action Brief Statement:

Convince older adults that by using my augmented reality app, they will have the ability to use the technology around them on their own which will increase their confidence because they’ll be able to independently use the myriad resources around them and not wait around until someone comes to show them how.

Evidence and Resources to support Technology or Service:

Andrews, J. A., Brown, L. J., Hawley, Mark S.; & Astell, A. J. (2019). Older adults’ perspectives on using digital technology to maintain good mental health: Interactive group study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(2), N.PAG. doi:10.2196/11694

Chang, I-Chiu. (2018). Antecedents and consequences of social networking site knowledge sharing by seniors. Library Hi Tech., 36(4), 651-664.

Chopik, W. J. (2016). The benefits of social technology use among older adults are mediated by reduced loneliness. CyberPsychology, Behavior & Social Networking, 19(9), 551–556. https://doi-org.libaccess.sjlibrary.org/10.1089/cyber.2016.0151

Connolly, C. (2013). Education programs for seniors: Aligning accessibility options with needs. In R. McBride & M. Searson (Eds.), Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference, 4315-4322.

Courtney, K. L., Demiris, G., & Hensel, B. K. (2007). Obtrusiveness of information-based assistive technologies as perceived by older adults in residential care facilities: A secondary analysis. Medical Informatics & the Internet in Medicine, 32(3), 241–249. doi:10.1080/14639230701447735

Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology: Vol 4. (pp. 7026-7035). doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-2255-3

Feature #01: Innovative use of Technology in Libraries. (2013, October 11). Retrieved March 15, 2020, from https://uklibchat.wordpress.com/2012/11/30/feature-01-innovative-use-of-technology-in-libraries/

Gill, Asif Qumer. (2016). IoT-enabled emergency information supply chain architecture for elderly people: The Australian context. Information Systems., 58, 75-86.

Hecher, M., Möstl, R., Eggeling, E., Derler, C., & Fellner, D. W. (2011). “Tangible culture” – Designing virtual exhibitions on multi-touch devices. Information Services & Use, 31(3/4), 199–208.

Kim, M. J., Lee, C.K., & Preis, M. (2016). Seniors’ loyalty to social network sites: Effects of social capital and attachment. International Journal of Information Management, 36(6), 1020–1032. doi:10.1016

Martínez-Alcalá, C. I., Rosales-Lagarde, A., Hernández-Alonso, E., Melchor-Agustin, R., Rodriguez-Torres, E. E., & Itzá-Ortiz, B. A.. (2018). A Mobile App (iBeni) With a neuropsychological basis for cognitive stimulation for elderly adults: pilot and validation study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(8), 75. doi:10.2196

Mcmillan, K., Flood, K., & Glaeser, R. (2017). Virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality, and the marine conservation movement. Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, 27, 162–168. doi: 10.1002/aqc.2820

Myung J. K., Choong-Ki L., Michael W.P., (2016). Seniors’ loyalty to social network sites: Effects of social capital and attachment. International Journal of Information Management, 36(6). doi:10.101

Pew Research Center. Older adults and technology use (2014). Retrieved from http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/04/03/older-adults-and-technology-use/

Romano Bergstrom, Jennifer. (2016). Older adults fail to see the periphery in a Web site task. Universal Access in the Information Society., 15(2), 261-270.

Sacramento, Carolina. (2019). Accessibility and communicability on Facebook: A case study with Brazilian elderly. First Monday., 24(1), 1-1.

Stokke, R. randi. stokke@ntnu. n. (2018). Older people negotiating independence and safety in everyday life using technology: qualitative study. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(10), 69. doi:10.2196/10054

Mission, Guidelines, and Policy related to Technology or Service:

Mission: My mission with this project is to help senior citizens learn how to use the emerging technologies around them by creating an app that acts as a manual for tech products.

Guidelines: I envision the app being both visual and auditory but for the purposes of a library, a suggested guideline would be to use the visual option and only use the auditory option if headphones are being used. As with any app, there will also be a suggestion to beware of surroundings as safety is a priority.

Policy: The app can be used outside the library so app policies won’t necessarily have to be determined by staff. Similar to how the Libby or Kindle app can be integrated with library books, I envision this app being used with tech widely but can have a library integration for specific library technology.

Funding Considerations for this Technology or Service: 

Because the app isn’t built yet, I’d hope to receive initial funding through venture funding or if I can build most of it myself, have the technology companies pay to use this service. For example, a Toshiba printer will pay to use my app as a way for people to learn how to use their machines. This is a wine for the, as more knowledge of their product leads to happier customers and less staffed help line. If this app every does become something were user need to pay, I’m hoping to make library tech options free for anyone who logs in with a library card (similar to the New York Times).

Action Steps & Timeline: 

This technology will need to be prototyped as I hope to raise the most funding by having companies like Google buy it to use it when they wish to show their customer base how to use any of their products. Because I work full time, take over 9 units of classes, and have a family, I feel like I would need at least 6 months to get something like this up and running. The flow dependencies go like this: continued research, a working prototype, more research, pitch to my startup contact at UC Berkeley, present and secure funding, build working App Version 1.0, sell B2B. If my pitch to the startup professor falls through, I would have to find a way into pitch sessions on my own. If I’m not able to secure funding, I’d have to build more of it myself or post a job description on Angle.co and find some free labor (interns) to help me build. As mentioned in the Feature #01: Innovative use of Technology in Libraries article, “with regard to software, there are so many free applications out there that can give you the capability to create new things” (2020).

Staffing Considerations for this Technology or Service:

Assuming that the app lands in the library once it’s working, I don’t project having the libraries needing more staff for this app. I would treat my app like any other library app where librarians can learn the basics of the app and technology enough to promote and show but allowing the patrons to dive deep and learn more if needed. The app itself will be very simple. The user simply points the app’s camera to an object (say a printer) and augmented reality arrows will point to the on/off button letting the user know that if the printer isn’t working, it may be because it’s off and suggest a quick push.

Training for this Technology or Service:

I’ve worked in a library so I know that as technologies are integrated, there is very little staff training. We are asked to know that a specific service or product exists but we aren’t always shown how to use it. To remedy that, I would create a short video showing people how the app works. It would be up to me and my staff to create the video and have it available for any staff member who wishes to learn how to use the app. If libraries agree, I’d hold video calls through Zoom or a similar platform, and show staff how to use it, have them practice and be able to ask any questions. I’d recommend an hour for this e-meeting but I expect it to take less than 30 minutes as the technology is simple.

Promotion & Marketing for this Technology or Service: 

Because I’d partner with other companies, I plan on having marketing come from many areas. Companies can market how easy it is to use their product with my new AR app and I think that could stir a lot of attention. I on the other hand, would market my product to libraries and senior homes by contacting branch managers and older adult community directors to show them how we can better the lives of their patrons with my new app. I think media coverage will help promote the app and so could newspapers and radio stations that older adults may listen to frequently. Finally, companies like AARP can help promote the app as well.

Evaluation:

I’d find myself happy with my app if we have an open rate of over 25%, conversion rate to any “PRO” services of over 25%, and a constant engagement rate of over 25%. I want people to use my app for the purpose of becoming comfortable with technology. If they end up using it less and less because they are learning how to use technology on their own, then I would deem my app successful. I would like to see a constant download rate because I want people of all ages to use this app one day. I envision someone buying a smart coffee maker and instead of a paper manual or an ask to visit a website with instructions, they can just use my app to see where to put the water, coffee, and what buttons to press.

Work Cited

U.S. Census Bureau. (2019, December 10). By 2030, All Baby Boomers Will Be Age 65 or Older. Retrieved March 15, 2020, from https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2019/12/by-2030-all-baby-boomers-will-be-age-65-or-older.html