Hyperlinked Communities

Here is the Library bus in Singapore AKA MOLLY

As I have seen others mention, Module 5 on Hyperlinked Communities is reminiscent of INFO 200 Information Communities. Rather than focus on one specific community, I think of hyperlinked communities as bringing people from different communities together. A giant melting pot of information communities, you could say. I am so excited to be at the end of this program because I can’t wait to become a library professional (I work in a library now, but the degree will make it “official”). One of the articles that spoke to me the most in this module was Baute (2013) about how a library in Ghana is helping new mothers.

This article describes services that a library in Ghana offers to new mothers, including text messages with advice and encouragement. This program has had many positive impacts on the community including “…help[ing] break down cultural taboos associated with talking about maternal health and childbirth…” (Baute, 2013, para. 15). This article reminded me of another assignment I did for INFO 232 last semester where we explored how public libraries around the world were helping at-risk communities. One awesome program that I read about was a library bus in Singapore that traveled around to provide books and services to children with disabilities, seniors, and those living in shelters and orphanages. Another one that I really liked was in Thailand where they turned empty train cars into libraries/classrooms to serve the thousands of homeless children. Volunteers can help with programs like these to bring valuable library services to communities that could greatly benefit from them. I think we are living in a wonderful time for libraries and I am excited to see what lies ahead.

Baute, N. (2013). How a modern library keeps mothers healthy in rural Ghana. Retrieved from https://www.impatientoptimists.org/Posts/2013/11/How-a-Modern-Library-Keeps-Mothers-Healthy-in-Rural-Ghana 

2 thoughts on “Hyperlinked Communities

1. I can see how everyone is linking module 5 to INFO 200. The bookmobiles is a great program. I also mentioned it in my blog reflection post. Congratulations on almost finishing this program.

2. Hello! Can you tell I coordinate INFO 200 for our school? 🙂

Your examples resonate: outreach and new ideas for mobile service out into the community. Things we might not have thought of because we didn’t understand all the nuances of the community.