The Scare Society

• Carrie Sanabria posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of The Scare SocietyThe Scare Society 1 week, 1 day ago

Has anyone ever attended the Lovecraft Film Festival? My husband and I attended the last one held in San Pedro, CA a few years back and loved it and were sad to hear they cancelled it. We love film festivals and try to go to the local horror film festival in Balboa Park annually, though sadly it is no longer being held this year due to covid.…[Read more]

• I have been wanting to attend the Lovecraft Film Fest but haven’t gotten a chance to yet! And I’m sorry they canceled it. A lot of film fests this year are going virtual; I “attended” one (Chattanooga Film Fest) back in June and it was a lot of fun.

I just went to a fun, immersive horror event in Los Angeles area (although all we did was pick up…[Read more]

• Ariel Dyer posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of The Scare SocietyThe Scare Society 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Who among the Scare Society typically goes to haunts around this time of year? I’m definitely feeling the loss of them during Covid. But I’m also finding an incredible amount of virtual alternatives. I just “attended” a virtual, one-on-one immersive horror experience from https://candlehousecollective.com. While their tickets are currently sold…[Read more]

• Every Halloween since my husband and I have been together we would go to the Haunted Trail at Balboa Park. It’s a fun “haunted” mile or so long trek through Balboa Park involving going through a clown maze at the beginning and usually through other little obstacles as well (like walking through a church where a sacrificial ceremony is taking place…[Read more]

• My husband and I have been doing haunted attractions since I was fifteen years old! (We started dating when I was sixteen). We have been to former asylums, Eastern State Penitentiary, old, abandoned hotels- you name it! There was one we went to that to this day I can hardly think about because it scared me so much! It was in an old, worn-down…[Read more]

• Carrie Sanabria posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of The Scare SocietyThe Scare Society 2 weeks, 1 day ago

Pet Semetary is my favorite King Novel and the original film is also one of my favorites. I saw the remake and found it entertaining, but doesn’t hold a candle to the original. Has anyone here seen a horror remake equal to or better than the original (in your opinion)?

• I never saw the Pet Semetary remake because I’d heard not-so-great things about it. One remake I love and think is superior to the original (and has certainly stood the test of time as having more “buzz” among fans) is the 1986 Cronenberg classic, The Fly. For a newer one, I found the Evil Dead soft reboot from 2013 to be a great film on par with…[Read more]

• Ya know, I love John Lithgow so I actually enjoyed it as it’s own movie. But I agree, it doesn’t hold a candle to the original (which doesn’t hold a candle to the book, in my opinion!).

• Ariel Dyer posted an update in the tribe Tribe logo of The Scare SocietyThe Scare Society 3 weeks ago

HEY SCARY KIDS! What’s everyone watching/reading/listening to in the horror sphere lately? I just watched Veronica (2017) for the first time (it’s on Netflix if anyone is interested), and didn’t realize until afterwards it was directed by Paco Plaza, the director of one of my favorite found footage horror films of all time, [REC] (2007). I love a…[Read more]

• This isn’t necessarily a Spanish horror recommendation, but another great found footage film is “Hell House, LLC.” I’ve seen my fair share of horror movies but this is the first one in a while that I lost sleep over! I also Veronica and enjoyed it- but it may have been a little overhyped for me by my brother. He said it was the scariest movie he’s…[Read more]

• I remember Hell House LLC! That was definitely a fun one. Honestly found footage is one of my favorite subgenres; as gimmicky as it can be sometimes, I don’t care, I still love it. A couple I recently watched and enjoyed was As Above, So Below and the new film out on Shudder that was filmed entirely over zoom, Host. And I love that feeling you…[Read more]

• Shockingly I watched the original 1974 Texas Chainsaw Massacre last night for the very first time. It was a fun movie perfect for a summer evening outdoor movie night. I found it a little cheesy but in the best possible way.

• I truly love that movie, but like you have seen it only recently (a couple years ago for the first time). I highly recommend Texas Chainsaw 2, as it seizes on that campy/cheesy quality and completely runs with it to be a full-blown horror comedy.