Posted by: | December 8, 2019

Final Reflection: Library as a Universe

I was particularly struck by the idea of the library as a universe, a concept I borrowed from the Mindspot video in Module 3 because I thought it was so apt. The universe of the hyperlinked library has people at its center, not books. It’s about human connections, conversations and dialog with users that are open and transparent with the library’s collections and services flourishing as a result.

In the hyperlinked universe, librarians act more like guides pointing the way. The organizational structure of hyperlinked libraries is not based upon a hierarchy, but rather a framework that is flatter and more team-based. Most importantly, however, is that hyperlinked librarians serve with heart.

To that final point, I would add that to serve with heart takes courage, especially when it feels like libraries are slow to change, or remain closed to new ideas. Which is why I really resonated with Cowell’s (2017) suggestion to give staff the time, at least once a month, to be creative. The only caveat being that staff must produce at least one good idea from each meeting. I wish more managers were as forward thinking as this.

Stephens (2016) says that for creativity to thrive curiosity needs to be nourished. As a life-long learner, I am eternally curious, but sometimes I need a push to try something new. That was one of the wonderful things about this class, and about library school in general – the push to try new technology and to do more with old technology has allowed me to realize that I’m more creative than I thought and I can do more than I thought.

I have enjoyed this class and the journey it has taken me on. All the best to everyone as they continue on the path.

References:

Cowell, J. (2017, May 28). A challenge to library managers: Embed creativity in your library. Retrieved from https://medium.com/@janecowell8/a-challenge-to-library-managers-embed-creativity-in-your-library-496d540ab7a3

Stephens, M. (2016). The heart of librarianship: Attentive, positive, and purposeful change. Chicago: ALA editions.

Transformationlab. (2009, April 20).  Mindspot the movie: The library as a universe [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&v=ixsOLvLSARg&feature=emb_title

Responses

1. Hi Christine,

I honestly think that at least from my own experience that librarians come with so much heart and passion and it’s something we don’t normally think of when someone says ‘librarians are….’ I’ve honestly loved seeing how creative librarians can get and it would be wonderful if more time was allotted to really allow them to express themselves. Maybe it’s the child and artist in me saying so, but I fully agree with you and believe it would be forward thinking indeed.

I had so much fun seeing all the posts this semester! I also resonated with your statement on how you are curious but there may be times where you need that push. This is probably one of the most enjoyable and if I’m honest least stressful classes I’ve had ever. I just love the engagement and the cool posts! It really gets you thinking and you get to apply what you’ve read and what you have learned. Hope you have a great holiday!

• Hi Tiffany @song1993,

I hope you will see this reply to your comment. Thank you so much for reading my posts and for all your great comments. It’s been fun being in class with you! I concur with your remark above about this class being enjoyable and less stressful than other classes. What a welcome change! I wish you all the best and I hope you have a wonderful holiday.