Posted by: | August 24, 2019

Introduction

Hello everyone! My name is Christine. I live in the San Fernando Valley in Los Angeles, CA. I’m the mother of 3 (mostly) grown children who are either working or in college. Two still live at home, but the oldest lives in Savannah, Georgia. This is my next to last semester at SJSU, which I can hardly believe because it feels like I started on this path just yesterday.

For the past 19 years I have worked at a high density storage facility library on the UCLA campus. For those who may not know what that is, a high density storage facility is where low circulating materials go to live when they are weeded from the general collection. Academics don’t like to throw things away and frankly, part of the academic library’s mission is to preserve material for future generations of students and scholars. Despite having spent my entire library career in a remote storage facility where we don’t see a tremendous number of patrons, I am very interested in community, connection, participation and team-based approaches. I also love the idea of the library as playful.

Some fun stuff about me is that I enjoy British crime dramas. My current favorite is Shetland, but really there are so many. I love quirky shows like Grace and Frankie on Netflix and the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel on Prime. I also like to go wine tasting. When classes ended in May, my husband and I took a short trip to Cambria to do some wine tasting and to relax. Below is a photo from that trip of an art installation at Ragged Point called “Portal to Big Sur.”

I look forward to connecting with all of you!

Responses

1. Nice photo! I enjoy wine tasting too and we have a very active wine scene top here in northern Michigan. Mostly whites but there are some very good red grapes that thrive in our climate.

We have similar TV show interests – have you tried Hinterland on Netflix?

Welcome to #hyperlib!

• Yay! A fellow wine enthusiast 🙂 With California’s hot climate, the reds do well here but I’m starting to get into the whites more and more. Just last night I helped a vineyard harvest their Albariño grapes (a type of white grape). It’s the first time I helped with a harvest. Hard work, but really gratifying.

P.S. Love Hinterland!

2. Hi Christine,

Just wanted to say hello! I also totally get what you mean. I love to collect and find homes for everything and yes that does include books. I find the most wonderful treasures not only for myself but for my friends and family. I also like to keep old books and pieces of music to preserve them for the future to enjoy. I also hoard all of my old textbooks. I can’t help it sometimes because I do like the content.

Also I love your photos! Everything looks so wonderful!

Tiffany