Reflection #5 Library as Creative Classroom

This is the Elements of the Creative Classroom Research Model, created by the European commission Institute for Prospective Technological Studies. I was really struck by this slide in the Library As Classroom lecture and had to pause to go do a bit more digging. I found the official Horizons 2014 report (graphic on page 4) which is a report that has been mentioned multiple times in this course for identifiying emerging trends in libraries and higher education. The 2014 report indicated that with each trend identified, the researchers used the Creative Classroom Research Model to identify the implications for policy, leadership and practice for each trend. 

What really sparked my interest though, was the article by Michael for the Library Journal that argued libraries ARE creative classrooms (https://www.libraryjournal.com/?detailStory=library-as-classroom-office-hours). This is more in line with what I was thinking when I saw this graphic. I thought this really was the essence of describing learning in a library setting but also, all of our coursework in this class fits into a segment of this Creative Classroom Model. Our course readings and discussion on participatory services and hyperlinked communities/environments have aligned with the Learning Practices and Teaching practices and a bit of the assessment (5-17). The conversation with Stacie Ledden and the job descriptions have been aligning with the Leadership and Values and Oganization (18-23). We looked at the hyperlinked model and the innovative Dokk1 library the first couple weeks meeting the Connectedness and Infrastructure section (24-28). And looking forward to new models, new horizens, mobile devices, and trends outside of libraries all aligned with the Content & Curricula section (1-4). 

I think libraries as a whole are really embracing the learning practices in this model with makerspaces, rennovated areas within libraries, and creating co munities of lifelong learners. But a lot of the libraries that we see as examples in our hyperlinked coursework that seem to be leading the way have really embraced the other half of the circle especially with the Leadership and Values, Organization, and Connectedness sections. These sections seem to be more fundamental and transformational change in the values of a library rather than the transitory programming where they may just “try out” a new model without committing too much. 

This is definitely something I want to dig in more….I may have print this out and start posting it around my desk at work so I can review it regularly and see how I can keep this in focus when strategic planning and creating new programs.

2 comments
  1. Hi @britten,
    I appreciate that you emphasized the library AS classroom; I didn’t really grab on to that idea as I went through the recent modules. But you’ve pointed out how many libraries (and user demands) have pivoted from being a sort of “learning toolbox”, with books and computers and whatnot, to classrooms where learning happens. Actually, they’re both, though I think that the perception of libraries in many communities is that they are still ONLY toolboxes.

2. @britten I am thrilled you went digging into that AMAZING graphic. It really resonated with me when i first saw it. I think it works well but I actually heard from the autho=rs that they wanted to simplify a bit more. I have no idea where the project is now… but there’s so much to take away from that image. 🙂