Learning Everywhere

In the Learning Everywhere module it was discussed how these days learning takes place in many different places and at any given time. Technology has allowed learning to be mobile and flexible. As someone who uses public transportation just about every day, I can’t help but think about all the things I do on my phone while commuting: I view video lectures, listen to podcasts, read educational content, and even work on homework assignments using the Google Docs app. One way that libraries help (or can help) with mobile learning is by circulating devices such as laptops, iPads, and hotspots. And as Stephens (n.d.) mentioned, libraries are places that facilitate learning, and the libraries of today offer learning opportunities in unexpected ways. A few examples that were mentioned in the lecture for Module 8 were butchers putting on a sustainable farming workshop, an adult storytime with spiced wine, and art being created in the middle of a library. As another example, at the public library I work at there are impromptu children’s activities that take place such as games that teach coding and a giant tic, tac, toe game (made by a staff member). I love the endless possibilities for public libraries to teach various literacies, and that learning can happen in so many different ways.

Giant Tic Tac Toe game at the South San Francisco Public Library taken by myself in 2019.

Also pointed by Stephens (n.d.) is that we are entering a generation of learners who are growing up with devices starting at very young ages. They are growing up with the handheld devices that are connect to the Internet. Every once in a while I will find myself wondering what are the implications of this? For example, Children have “less screen time?” I imagine that there still isn’t a whole lot of research on this topic yet (since this current generation is still growing up). In any case though, there are certainly opportunities for public libraries to serve those that have been immersed in information from the very start. Libraries can help children (and others) assist with maximizing the learning potential of computers and electronic devices and stay up to date with them. Another potential opportunity, perhaps, is for libraries to host programs for parents/guardians that teach them how to effectively use parental controls or security features on devices.

Refercnes:

Stephens, M. (n.d.). The hyperlinked library: Learning Everywhere INFO 287. Retrieved from:  https://sjsu-ischool.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=e38d4a22-9626-4b29-a038-aaef0124ee52

Join the Conversation

1 Comment

1. I have advocated for the programming you describe in the last paragraph for a long time. Educating both parents and young people – in different ways on different but related topics — can lead to good digital citizens. 🙂