Home » Introduction » An Introduction

An Introduction

Hi everyone!

My name is Vincent Gutierrez. I’m from Bakersfield, California. I attended CSU Bakersfield and received my BA in English with a minor in Communications in 2017. This will be my second to last semester (hopefully!) before I receive my MLIS. My focus is obtaining a career in an academic library.

I’m writing this post from the Morro Dunes Campground in Morro Bay, California on a weekend vacation with my family. We come here a couple times during the year. It’s our favorite spot.

I work full time and go to school full time. I have two daughters and two sons and an amazing fiance who is a teacher. Together we like going to concerts, going camping, and playing Pokemon GO (yes! we still play!). Our life is pretty busy to say the least!

In my spare time I enjoy reading, creative writing, and playing video games when I have the chance and time allows. I’ve recently been wanting to get back into skateboarding, as I used to skate when I was younger.

I thought it would be cool to share my summer reading list. I didn’t get a whole lot done since I also took a summer class (INFO 285: Applied Research Methods).

1. Stephen King and Owen King’s Sleeping Beauties
  2. Susan Orlean’s The Library Book (This is one of my new favorites!)
  3. Stephen King’s The Dark Tower 6: Song of Susannah (Audiobook)
  4. Haruki Murakami’s Kafka on the Shore
  5. Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep
  6. Stephen King’s The Dark Tower 7: The Dark Tower (Audiobook)
  7. Octavia E. Butler’s Kindred (I absolutely loved this book!)
  8. Ursula K. Le Guin’s The Dispossessed (currently reading)
  9. Pat Barker’s The Silence of the Girls

As you can see, I’m a big Stephen King fan. I started reading It the summer between middle school and high school at my aunt’s house in Arizona. My favorite of his books are 11/22/63 and The Talisman (which he wrote with Peter Straub). I’ve been reading/listening to the books I’ve missed after I had stopped reading him for a while.

Did you have a summer reading list? How did you do? I’m looking forward to working and learning with all of you!

1. Hello @vgutierrez – super cool pic! Long time Stephen King fan here – my aunt loaned me Salem’s Lot in the late 70s and I was hooked. I read everything he published all through college. The Stand is one of my all time favorites. Straub’s Ghost Story too.

I had big plans for reading this summer but so many other things came up. I did a few books via audible while walking (mainly in the true crime arena).

Welcome to #hyperlib!

• Thanks! The sunset was beautiful that day and my kids were running towards the beach with their boogie boards so I just snapped it really quick.

Funny how aunts both introduced us to King. I devoured everything I could get my hands on regarding Stephen King when I was younger. I remember finding a .txt doc somewhere online of the Bachman books, which included the terrible book Rage (ugh!), and reading through it quickly. I think after I graduated I fell off the King wagon, but I have recently been catching up with his works. I’m excited for his new one The Institute coming out next month!

I haven’t read much true crime, but I did listen to I’ll Be Gone in the Dark last year, which was great. I’m so sad McNamara didn’t get to see him caught, but was completely on the right track of using DNA evidence from those databases!

Thank you for the welcome! I’m excited to be here!

2. Long time King fan here too. I recently saw the announcement about The Institute, definitely looking forward to that one. The Eyes of the Dragon has long been a favorite of mine, as well as The Dark Tower.

Summer reading:
    Lawhead: In the Land of the Everliving (Eirlandia 2)
    Baldacci: The Fallen (Amos Decker book 4); Redemption (Decker 5)
    Keller: Prodigal Prophet
    Sanderson: Edgedancer (Stormlight 2.5); Oathbringer (Stormlight 3)

• Nice! I haven’t even heard of any of those books! Would you recommend any of them?

I haven’t yet read Eyes of the Dragon but it has long been on my bookshelf. I love The Dark Tower. I re-started to the whole series after listening to The Wind Through the Keyhole, which I thought was a nice touch (I had read it previously, but couldn’t remember it). I’m glad he still has stories about that world and those characters.