RSS

Go Ask Alice

29 Aug

Hello, fellow classmates! I know this post is up later than it should have been, but I was out of town for a bit and had only glanced on Canvas for info about due dates. Anyway, I’m here now!

I don’t actually have blonde hair! This was one of my recent costumes of an Alice in Wonderland figurine.

Academic

I am a little past 50% finished with my MLIS, but I’m still not 100% sure what I’m going to be doing when I graduate. I know that I would love to help others research or learn to research, or work in an archives setting and organize collections. Currently, I have no professional librarian experience, only volunteering for some years at my high school library (at the time of graduating high school I thought I wanted to be a pastry chef, and my librarian was so disappointed because she thought I really would do well in a library) as well as my local public library.

Personal

My first name is Elizabeth, but I prefer to go by Alice. And yes, I am quite obsessed with Alice in Wonderland, whether it be the original book with the John Tenniel illustrations or Disney’s version. Disney’s version is so bright and beautiful and colorful, though, so most of my art is based on that. My husband is in the Coast Guard so we move every couple of years, which is why I chose SJSU. We have three dogs and a rabbit, and of course I am going to share photos of them, because what kind of monster would I be if I didn’t? I have several hobbies, which include costuming, sewing, cross-stitching, calligraphy, and collecting Alice in Wonderland pins, art, and figures.

Professional

I am currently working as a contracted transcriptionist for the Veterans Appeals system. When a Veteran has a hearing with a judge to appeal their case, I am one of the people who then turns that hearing into a transcript so that the judge can review the hearing in a typed format and get all of the details they need. I feel quite fulfilled with this job, as I am helping so many Veterans out and I am learning so much about what they all have gone through. I’m a very empathetic person, so sometimes the job gets really difficult, but the feeling of being able to help Veterans is worth it.

Well, that’s it for now! I can’t wait to get to know all of you throughout this course and I look forward to learning all about #hyperlib!

Posted by on August 29, 2019 in Uncategorized

3 Responses to Go Ask Alice

1. Michael Stephens

August 29, 2019 at 3:59 pm

Hello @aliceroy! Nice to see the pics of your sweet pets and your costume looks great! I write and speak about the importance of empathy in our profession so I am glad you mentioned it.

• Elizabeth Alice Roy

August 29, 2019 at 4:29 pm

Thank you! I look forward to hearing your thoughts on how empathy is important to our profession!

2. Michael Stephens

August 29, 2019 at 3:59 pm

And… Welcome to #hyperlib!