Book Review: Consent of the Networked

I’ve done a power point for my book review (see link below). Included in the power point is an explanation for why I picked this medium.

I’ve asked lots of questions in the power point. . . would love to hear what people think.

consentofthenetworked

(Check out this defense of power point by WIRED magazine, http://www.wired.co.uk/article/powerpoint-birthday-defence. Very related to what we are discussing in class: “”How come almost every organisation in the world is using PowerPoint to communicate almost everything to almost everybody?” That’s the real question. How come PowerPoint is everywhere? How has it been so successful for so long? How has nothing ever replaced it? Once we’ve understand that, we’ll have understood the modern world.”)

4 thoughts on “Book Review: Consent of the Networked

1. Thanks for sharing this review and your powerpoint. I learned quite a bit from the powerpoint and I lOVE the explanation of why so many of us continue to use powerpoint even when there are many other communication/presentation options. Thanks!

2. Hi Mary,

This is fantastic! I also chose this book as one of my options, but turns out it’ll be arriving about a week after the due date, so I’ve gone with another one. 🙁 Still, I’m really looking forward to reading it for leisure and your powerpoint has made me more excited for that. Also, your Basic Human Needs image with “wifi” scratched into the bottom made me laugh out loud. Great work!

3. Thanks Bree and Mary for your comments and for taking the time to look at the power point. I had a lot of fun putting it together, and it really was a different way to think about the book. In fact, I think I will assign my comp/critical thinking students the assignment of making a power point because I think it can help make us think central issues and questions that, perhaps, writing an essay does not necessarily encourage as well. . . Just a thought though. Also, it feels more inviting and participatory than a formal essay. I’ll have to see how it works.

• @mvasudeva Not a problem! It sounds like that would be a really fantastic assignment for your class. I’m sure that will get them thinking outside the box about whichever assignment they’ll have. Let us know how it works out!