The “Val” in “LibVal”

Hello! My name is Valerie. I am the creator of this blog and writer of these posts. I usually have a lot to say, but never enough to write. That being said, I thought I would write up a little write-up of myself. I was born and raised in California, and I was able to move to my California dream destination at the age of 25. I’m incredibly lucky and honored to be a member of the best community in the best state in the best country in the world.  Now that I live where I want to live forever (fingers crossed that I live forever), I think it’s safe to say that I’m a Californian through and through. I grew up in a valley (I know, typical California valley girl), and I use vernacular such as “dude,” “stoked,” and “hella.” I do try to avoid slang in my writing, but it is definitely a part of who I am.

I went to college at Sacramento State University where I studied English and Anthropology. I decided to pursue librarianship because both of my majors continuously brought me back to the library. The library has always been a place that has brought me comfort. Then when I got into college it was the place where I could focus. In this program, I have found that libraries are more than I ever imagined. There is so much potential inherent/generated/foreseen in libraries. I cannot wait to step into the field and watch it evolve.

I have many interests, but most pertain to ingesting various media-TV, movies, YouTube videos, audiobooks, ebooks, books, graphic novels, board games, videogames, and magazines. I also like to cook and bake, but most of my creations are hit or miss. I enjoy singing and I infrequently attempt to play ukulele. I have a boyfriend and a dog, and they are, by far, the two most important men in my life; we have a lot of fun together. Anyway, that’s all I can really think to say about me today. I hope that you continue reading my blog, and you find my observations enjoyable? helpful? enlightening? You decide.

9 Thoughts.

1. Welcome Valerie,
    I hope you can continue to live in California as well. I live in San Jose. I hate that it is so expensive and forces many of the middle and working classes out of the area. What I DO love though is the diversity and I especially love the weather 😉
    My parents moved to Orangevale (near Folsom) about 18 years ago and they love it there.

• @lisamolson I have family that live in Orangevale as well! I completely agree about how expensive it is to live in California, especially the Bay Area. For a long time, my boyfriend and I debated about moving to Oregon. Housing prices are much lower and there are more job opportunities. Ultimately though, I think it would have broken my heart if I had moved away!

2. Cooking and baking are wonderful ways to experiment. I made a spinach-cheese crustless quiche that was a featured recipe on the Obama White House site. The quiche was a work-in-progress.
    On the other hand, there’s a very good Buttermilk-Dill dressing I make. Please write and ask if you’re interested in the recipe.

3. Buttermilk – Dill Dressing Recipe
    2 cups Dill Dressing – 10 servings
    3/4 cup canola oil
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup buttermillk
    4 to 5 cloves garlic, pressed (in a garlic press)
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons dill weed, dried
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
    1 and 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, coarse grind
    1 teaspoon salt

Put all ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid & shake thoroughly
    or whisk thoroughly. Keep refrigerated. Shake well or whisk before using.
    Spoon over salad and toss, do not drench. Will keep in the frig for 10 days.

I actually make this in a very large bowl, and then transfer it to two well-rinsed out spaghetti sauce glass jars.

This originally came from the SF Chronicle, a now defunct newspaper in the Bay Area, CA.