Welcome!

Hey, everyone – thanks for stopping by!

I’m Shana and I’m in my second semester at the SJSU iSchool. I’m pursuing the academic librarianship path, as working in a university setting the past few years has amplified my interest in higher education, especially within the frame of research and resource services. The prospect of one day working with students and faculty on various research projects and helping to guide others in the use of new technologies and programs is something I’m really looking forward to!

I chose this course for several reasons. First, the subject matter is incredibly important to understanding how libraries are and can continue to be relevant – and essential – in the digital age. I’m interested to learn about how libraries are using emerging technologies to keep patrons engaged and active in the community.

I know we have a lot of fellow students already working in libraries, so one of the things I’m most excited about is learning about their firsthand experiences with emerging trends.

On a personal note, I work in development at San Diego State University – that’s fundraising! It’s challenging but rewarding work.

In my spare time, I love to travel and explore as much as possible. I just returned yesterday from my first visit to the northeast coast, where my beau and I did a road trip from Northampton, MA for my sister’s wedding, to Boston, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, and terminating in Philadelphia. It was tons of fun but I feel like I barely scratched the proverbial surface and can’t wait to do it again soon!

Here is a nice photo of me and my dude at the wedding. We both hate having our photos taken so this was a rare delight for our moms!

And here is a photo from our trip when we stopped at Walden Pond. The park has this replica of Henry David Thoreau’s cabin. It’s only 16×10 feet!

And here is a photo of the kitty cat I am fostering. Her name is Izzy, but I call her Lazy because she loves to snooze!

Categories: Uncategorized | 7 Comments

Post navigation

7 thoughts on “Welcome!

1. I love the book shelf! Are these your books? I think instead of introductions, everyone should post a pic of their bookshelf. It would tell us so many interesting things about one another: For example, if these are your books, then clearly you are a Tolkien fan (or someone in your family is).
    I share your interest in working in an Academic Library. It seems like it would be very rewarding.
    I’m also a huge fan of San Diego, lived there for five years, but love to go back and visit. Which neighborhood do you live in?
    Enjoyed your pics!

2. Hi, Mary! Those most certainly are my books and I most certainly am a massive Tolkien fan! 🙂 I love the idea of everyone posting a photo of their bookshelves!

I live in Normal Heights. I absolutely adore it. There are so many amazing independent shops, restaurants, and bars here, it’s super central and I can walk and bike to everything. I never want to leave!

• Normal Heights is a super neighborhood. Very central. San Diego is a wonderful place to live (and visit). And, you have a great central library (do I sound like a San Diego promotional video?). We toured that library last year (our guide was a homeless patron). He knew so much about the library and about all the building going on outside of the library!
      I’d insert a pic of the library here if I could.
      The first thing I do when I go to other people’s houses is look for their bookshelf. . . It feels like a way to get to know people without snooping (assuming their bookshelf is out in the open).

3. Hi Mary! It’s amazing you got to see Walden Pond. One of my most treasured books is a copy of “Walden” my mom gave me when I graduated from high school. She signed it and included a special note. I’ve read that book many times over.

4. Hello Shana, glad you had a great trip on the east coast! I grew up in CT and a lot of the areas in New England are beautiful, I definitely miss the fall and all the leaves changing, but certainly not the winters and all the snow.

It’s great that you’re fostering a cat! I would love to do so, but our lease specifically states we can’t keep animals not listed on the lease, even for a short period of time.

5. Hi Shana!

Stoked to be taking this class with you. I took it on your recommendation of the instructor! 🙂

Megan

6. Hi @slaurienzo – thanks for sharing the pics. I appreciate the bookshelf too – and the DRAGON! I think I have a few bookshelf photos in the course blog. Glad to have you in another class! Welcome to #hyperlib!