Home » Community » Hyperlinked Environment

Hyperlinked Environment

Click on the image to go to the interactive word cloud.  Enjoy!

The Hyperlinked Environment “Choose Your Own Adventure” was indicative of how users should be encouraged to use the library—whatever library that may be. We were invited to take ownership of what was meaningful and or important to us. So, in this module, I chose to follow my heart and interest and pick the public library adventure. The readings were inspirational and informative. Using the action words from “The Four Spaces” model, I counted how many times the words (including root words) were used in each article and created an interactive word cloud. I encourage you to click on the word cloud image and go to its page. Roll over the image and see the word cloud come to life. It is quite fun.

To inspire creativity, exploration, participation, and excitement is to achieve the ideal library environment. I am not currently working in a public library, but I hope that I will, and that I will have an opportunity to actively engage my library and its community while incorporating the genius design of The Four Spaces by Dorte Skot-Hansen, Henrik Jochumsen and Casper Hvenegaard Hansen as discussed in The Four Spaces of the Public Library by Jakob Guillois Laerkes. Jakob recommends considering this design when planning your library space. He states, “if you want to redesign your library, I recommend you look at the model and consider how you want to integrate the four spaces in your library and which ones you wish to empathize.”

Figure 1: The four spaces by Dorte Skot-Hansen, Henrik Jochumsen and Casper Hvenegaard Hansen (as illustrated in http://blogs.ifla.org/public-libraries/2016/03/29/the-four-spaces-of-the-public-library/)

De-emphasis of collections and emphasis of the environment as it relates to its community is the concept. When Phil Morehart reported, in Moving Beyond the “Third Place,” Marie Ostergaard’s description (from her IFLA presentation) of the “Dokk1 [library] as the “living room of the city,” and as such…less focused on books and more focused on human needs, providing space for performances, meetings, children’s activities, art installations, and general public gatherings,” I was enthralled.

This quotation from Ostergaard really hit home with me. The Dokk1 is the ideal. I embrace this philosophy of design, humanity, and community as a future library employee and as a library user. I aspire to work in a small community library, so I know it will be more modest than Dokk1. However, I see that as an opportunity not an obstacle. The joy will be exploring the possibilities and finding ways to achieve the goal.

I loved the story of the Westmount Public Library (WPL): Labor of Love: Opening Up Archival Gems for Community Engagement by Lora Baiocco. Doklab’s local stories application was purchased by WPL to house the postcard collection of 40,000 pieces. This exciting project was inspired by a community project to commemorate the library’s 75th anniversary. So, in 1974, the library asked the community to “scour their attics, old correspondence, albums[,] and other likely caches for contributions to the collection.” Now, with the introduction of the Doklab’s local stories program, the community can see and experience the collection in an inspired, interactive fashion with the “multitouch table.” This is so exciting. I love the communities I have lived in and have always loved local history. It is a great way to connect people. The postcard project was genius. I would love to participate in such a project. This would be my contribution to the history of Highland Park, Illinois where my grandmother was born and grew up.

This postcard was sent to Harry Hall and Mary Rafferty Hall in 1918 by Mary’s sister Jean Rafferty Ulbert and her husband Charles Ulbert. Note that there is no street number, but it still made it to its destination. 

To give some context, this picture is of my grandmother Dorothy, her little brother Harry, and their mother Mary Rafferty Hall in the winter of 1918.

About the Hyperlinked Environment: inspired is an understatement!

1. @selatham, I love learning about local history and the postcard project is a great way to get the community involved. I wish the city library where I live did something like that. Love your pictures! It’s amazing that the postcards made it to its location without a street number.

2. Thank you, @sabrinanicole863! The library I would like to work in is located in a small Wisconsin town called Williams Bay. My family has had a lake house in this town since 1968. They have a wonderful historical society that collaborates with the library. Together they create the most awesome events. The whole town is extremely connected and involved. Love it!!! Enjoy your week! 🙂

3. Hi @selatham, I totally agree with your comment on de-emphasizing collections and emphasizing space in a public library setting because many times we focus so much on providing space to house our collections that we forget that a large section of our clients simply want a space to use. That doesn’t mean that the collections become unimportant, it just means that our library services will now cater to the diverse needs of clients. Wonderful post!

4. Thank you for your kind words, @paula. This class is so inspiring. I am really enjoying the materials and the work of my fellow students. It is helping me visualize what I would like to do in a library. Very real world scenarios!

5. @selatham The card and photo are beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Local and family history is definitely a connector of people. There’s something so special about seeing the people who lived in a certain time and certain place now that resonates. As an aside, one of my favorite shows is “Who Do You Think You Are” because we get to see celebrity lives from a totally different and decidedly library-esque viewpoint.

6. Thanks @michael! I am very blessed to have some great pieces of family history tied to the communities in which I grew up. I am inspired by the Hyperlinked Library concept and its components. I would love to be part of a library that uses the Doklab’s local stories application. There is so much we can learn from each other, the past, and the community as a whole.