In this module, we will explore how learning is changing and the ways new literacies are impacting how information is shared. In A New Culture of Learning: Cultivating the Imagination for a World of Constant Change by Douglas Thomas and John Seely Brown, the authors discuss the impact of technology on education and on society. They argue that the old adage “teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime” is limited because this assumes that there will always be unlimited fish and no changes to the concept and mechanisms of fishing. Change, however, is a constant and one of the things we struggle to adapt to in libraries while staying true to our mission.
Things to Read
- Stephens, M. (2012). Learning everywhere.
- Stephens, M. (2016). Library Emoji.
- Doctorow, C. (2013). Libraries and makerspaces: a match made in heaven.
- Greenwalt, R. T. (2013). Embracing the long game.
- Springen, K. (2011). What’s right with this picture?
- Williams, M. R. (2014). Kansas teen uses 3-D printer to make hand for boy.
- Vangelova, L. (2014). What does the next-generation school library look like?
- Digital Promise. (2016). Chicago Public Library: The Library as a Gateway to 21st Century Skills.
Things to View
- FPLStudio300. (2013). Studio 300 picture tour.
- Aarhus DOKK1 (2016). Creative learning, making and coding at DOKK1.
- White Plains Public Library Teens (2016). What is 3D Printing?
- White Plains Public Library Teens (2015). Hour of Code.
Things to Explore
- Pew Internet & American Life (2016). Adults with tech-access tools are more likely to be lifelong learners and rely on the internet to pursue knowledge.
- MacArthur Foundation. (2010). Digital media & learning competition.
- Library as incubator project. (n. d.). Author archive.
- Maggio, L., Saltarelli, A., & Stranack, K. (2016). Crowdsourcing the curriculum: A MOOC for personalized, connected learning.
- McCrea, B. (2012). The library as a digital learning space.
- Kansas City Public Libraries. (2015). IMLS Focus: Learning in Libraries.
- Britton, L. (2012). The makings of maker spaces, part 1: Space for creation, not just consumption.
- Koerber, J. (2012). The makings of maker spaces, part 2: Espress yourself.
- Britton, L., & Considine, S. (2012). The makings of maker spaces, part 3: A fabulous home for cocreation.