Info 287-10 Blog MHeadrick

Reflections on Learning in the #hyperlib Community

Symposium Piece

This week I was able to try a tool that I have been wanting to play with for some time. StoryBird.com is a website that has tons of illustrations and the user gets to build a story using these illustrations. It is a tool I came across a few years ago and have recommended to others, but not something I had actually tried. I loved it. I found an artist that I liked and looked through hundreds of images to choose ones that helped tell the story of my journey this semester. I hope you enjoy it.

Click here for my StoryBird Symposium Piece

It has been nice learning with you. I wish you all the best of luck in your #hyperlinked future. 🙂

MH

1. Profile photo of
    Carolyne Alsop

May 7, 2017 at 4:29 pm

@michelle Absolutely loved your Hyperlinked Story! This was amazing and so creative! The pictures really helped tell the story of your personal journey through this course.
    All the best.

• Profile photo of
      Michelle Headrick

May 9, 2017 at 1:31 am

Thanks Carolyne. It was fun to compile many of the lessons learned this semester into something that was pretty. I liked the illustrator’s work so much it was hard to know when to stop – thanks for hanging in there and reading it all. 🙂

2. This is a fantastic idea! I’ve never heard of this website and it looks super cool; is this something you’ve recommended to children or teens?

• Profile photo of
      Michelle Headrick

May 9, 2017 at 1:25 am

Hi Kelly,
      Yes, at the end of the year our sixth grade classes create picture books. Last year I noticed some of the students were struggling because they were intimidated by the art/illustration of it all. This site had been mentioned at a CUE (Computer Using Educator) conference I had attended and I decided to recommend it to my sixth grade teacher. She told me last week that her students are loving it… I thought I would see for myself. 🙂 I have heard that it works well with English Learners- there’s a lot of language to pull from some of these amazing illustrations. I would like to try it with that group of students.

3. Profile photo of
    Gina Martinez

May 7, 2017 at 9:51 pm

This was so cool! I loved the pictures, the idea, and especially how carefully worded every single page was. It is obvious that you put your whole heart into this project. Outstanding!

• Profile photo of
      Michelle Headrick

May 9, 2017 at 1:30 am

Thanks Gina. The illustrations really helped tell the story! I hope you get a chance to play with it. 🙂

4. I had never heard of StoryBird before, this is awesome! Bravo on an excellent and creative way to wrap up your semester in INFO 287. Thanks for introducing this format!

• Profile photo of
      Michelle Headrick

May 9, 2017 at 1:29 am

Thanks Molly. It was a lot of fun and I read it and re-read it waaaaaayyy to many times. 🙂 Best of luck to you in your MLIS journey.

5. Profile photo of
    Amanda StJohn

May 8, 2017 at 9:34 pm

@michelle
    AWESOOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEEE!!!!! This was an incredible thing to experience, and a great way to recap on important parts. What better way to evoke the human heart than with a story. GREAT illustrations.

• Profile photo of
      Michelle Headrick

May 9, 2017 at 1:27 am

Thanks Amanda! The illustrations were so fun to look through and they did seem to fit amazingly well with our journey this semester. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

6. Michelle, this is really spectacular and such an interesting platform for both illustrator and user. I love that idea that one person’s illustrations can be used in any number of ways to illustrate countless different stories. That in and of itself is emblematic of the goals of the hyperlinked library. Thanks for putting so much care and thought into this!

• Profile photo of
      Michelle Headrick

May 9, 2017 at 1:28 am

I completely agree! There are some very talented illustrators – and the images have the potential to inspire so many different narratives. It’s so much fun – I hope you get to play with it. 🙂

7. Lori Broger-Mackey

May 9, 2017 at 8:14 am

@michelle, Loved Storybird. I had not heard of it before, but I’ll have to use it now. You did a beautiful job.

8. Profile photo of
    Erin Lybrand-Wenz

May 10, 2017 at 4:32 pm

This was just beautiful. I read through it twice. The illustrations you selected were the perfect pairing to your text–The images you chose breathed extra light into words and words to images and the whole thing just had this warm and hopeful and encouraging aura about it. Thank you so much for sharing, Michelle.

9. Profile photo of
    Melanie Alexander

May 11, 2017 at 3:39 am

Great job! Your presentation was beautiful. I loved the pictures you used. Thanks for sharing StoryBird. I love seeing all of these new things. I am going to play around with this.

10. Yes, way cool, I will definitely be using this tool in the future, thank you so much for sharing!

11. Wonderful! The pictures are so evocative and capture each idea perfectly. I’ve never heard of this tool, but I’m eager to try it. Thank you!!

12. Profile photo of
    Mikayla Habibi

May 12, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Oh my goshhhh!! I have never heard of Storybird before, but it is quite possibly the greatest thing I’ve ever seen. What a creative way to share your ideas. Your project seemed like an actual published book, good job.

13. Profile photo of
    Anjanette Jones

May 15, 2017 at 12:39 am

I guess I’ll echo what everyone else has been saying. This is so fun and creative. I loved it!

14. Great tool and great presentation. I think you are spot on with your takeaways from the course! I hope to use the StoryBird tool in the future. 🙂