Introduction

Hi everyone! My name is Michelle Brown, and I am about 3/4 of the way done with the MLIS program. I’m doing the full time work part time school thing, so it’s taking me a little longer than I planned. I’ve been trying to focus on classes that teach things I won’t learn on the job. I’m hoping this class will give me some tools or expose me to ideas that I can use to navigate the ever changing technology and library fields. I’m interested in how libraries are evolving as community spaces and what I can do to help advocate for libraries as essential parts of our communities.

Over the summer, I was hired as a Library Supervisor at the Sacramento Public Library. I run a small neighborhood branch in North Sacramento. It’s only been three months, but I love it! I supervise 1 full time and 2 part time Library Assistants as well as two Shelvers. There are no other staff (Librarians, Circ Supervisor, etc.), so I get to wear many hats and do lots of everything. Previously, I worked at the Roseville Public Library and the Humboldt County Library. I want to continue working in public libraries, but I don’t have a next step planned yet. I think I’ll be happy with where I am for at least a while.

For my bachelor’s degree, I studied Studio Art at Humboldt State University. I learned many different kinds of art but focused mostly on photography and painting. In my spare time, I enjoy art, yoga, camping, and of course reading. I like picture books because I actually have the time to finish them!

5 comments
  1. Hi Michelle,

I enjoyed reading your blog post! I love that cartoon – I do catch myself passing by shelves of books or other collections and resisting the urge to put things in order!

1. It’s definitely become second nature for me to tidy shelves that I pass 🙂

2. I think it is wonderful that you get to work and study at the same time. I think it is also inspiring that you are able to have the job position you have while working on the MLIS. I am also glad to know we are both based in the Sacramento area and have yoga in common! 🙂

1. Working and going to school has definitely been beneficial, as I find what I’m studying relates to my job or vice versa! I feel very fortunate that my work in libraries (and my education) has given me skills and experience that helped me get my current job. I had thought that I wouldn’t be able to get where I am until I had my degree, but I kept trying and was proven wrong! And I love how small the library world is and all the connections there are!

3. @mbrown What excellent experience you are getting at your branch. I hope you find some strong takeaways from this class you can apply to the job and future positions. Welcome to #hyperlib!