Hello #hyperlib community!

I took my INFO 200 course from Dr. Stephens back in the Fall of 2015. I am an introvert at heart, so when I heard that I would have to create blog posts and place them on the web for others to comment on, I was intimidated. When looking at my posts as a body of work at the end of that semester, I was grateful for the challenge to my comfort and felt that I had conquered it.

Here is a little bit about me: My name is Kristi Chavez. This is the last year of my Master’s program. I have worked in libraries since 1995 and consider myself a lifelong learner. I currently work in an academic library and would like to continue pursuing a career in academic libraries. I love to see students find their passions and create research that is important to them and their community. An area I would like to continue exploring is the dissemination of original research like grey literature and research in institutional repositories.

I have a husband and two boys, ages 9 and 5. When I am not working or studying, I like to work on DIY projects at home, explore nature and listen to podcasts.

I look forward to learning about participatory service and the various ways that libraries are exploring beyond their walls and traditional methods. My favorite aspect of this class is our ability to be creative and convey our perspective using media or methods of our choice. For my last post for Dr. Stephens class in INFO 200, I was elated for the opportunity to break out of the usual Master’s assignment and created this word cloud and original watercolor painting:

I have high hopes for this semester and am excited to see what unique takes my classmates will post on our research topics.

-Kristi

4 thoughts on “Hello #hyperlib community!

1. I remember your 200 artwork! So cool. I am glad the blogging assignment offered some experience outside of your comfort zone. I hope this class does as well. Every time I push outside my comfort zone, I learn things about myself. Welcome to #hyperlib!

2. Hi Kristi. I also had Dr. Stephens for INFO 200 and jumped at the opportunity to work with him in this course. I am also a fellow introvert! I imagine there are quite a few of us in the field, or perhaps that’s just a stereotype. I look forward to seeing more of your blog posts.

• Hi Sarah,
      Yes, it reflects well on Dr. Stephens. I guess he knows how to entice the introverts to share information in our own way! On that note, I am toying with the idea of reading “Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Won’t Stop Talking” for upcoming assignment. It looks like a great read. I watched Susan Cain’s TED Talk and she made some fascinating points. If you haven’t seen it, I recommend you check it out: https://www.ted.com/talks/susan_cain_the_power_of_introverts !