RSS Feed

Introduction Post

August 24, 2017 by Brianna A.

Hi everybody!

My name is Brianna Anderson and I live in a small town in San Joaquin County not too far from Sacramento. I currently work for the Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library system at the Lathrop Branch library, a small, rural branch.

In the future, I would love to continue working in public libraries. I’m not sure if I’d like to try my hat at a large library, or maybe even a medium sized one. One of the things I love most about working for a small branch is the ability to really get to know your patrons and their families. You know who likes what books and who’s got what on hold.

Before my new-found library career, I worked extensively in education in both special education and for tutoring companies. I worked at both public schools and non-profit, non-public schools as push-in help and as an instructor in a vocational classroom for older teens and adults with autism teaching them job and life skills. I ultimately decided that this wasn’t quite the path I wanted to go down and decided to pursue a degree in librarianship, my first real passion. I think that one of the wonderful facets of a library, besides being around books all day, is the amazing capacity for teaching and learning from a wide variety of subjects and from a wide variety of people. I get to do wonderful programs for kids and teens, where I learn as much, maybe more, than those I’m teaching.

I can’t wait to see what this course has to offer and am really looking forward to learning about a hyperlinked library and how social media is changing and enhancing the profession.

2 Comments »

1. Hello Brianna! Glad to read about your current position at the branch,. It sounds as though you get to do some cool stuff for young people. And I so appreciate the fact you get to know the people you serve. There is something about small branches or smaller libraries that really appeals to me. Welcome to #hyperlib!

2. F. Lane says:

Hi, Brianna.

Sounds as though you enjoy working at the small library as my as I do. I really feel that we make very personalized recommendations for our guests, and that we can proactively provide them with resources before they even ask for them!

I also feel that in a small community, we must push the boundaries of what it means to be “a library.” I think we have a unique opportunity to participate in community transitions.

Look forward to hearing more from you this semester!

Faith