The New Models modules really captured my attention. I’ve written before about physical space being a huge problem at our library. The reading and lecture have really inspired me to propose that we do more than just change the way the stacks are organized and how the chairs feel. We need to have a Phoenix-type rising from the ashes attitude. We should just hatch from an egg like a chicken, although chickens are very beautiful and useful in our world/ecosystem, but I mean to say that we need to try to do this really well! We need to take careful consideration of not only what is missing from our library, but also what we could be.

Looking to others for examples I’m inspired by comfort. The concept of hygge, as discussed in the lecture and the readings really is helping me to flush out my ideas. After reading more about hygge in Professor Stephens’ article, I’m starting to imagine a library where we encourage conversations and ideas to emerge. Given that we are an educational institution specifically for law students, I’m trying to imagine a world where lawyers do not talk to each other. We should be encouraging collaboration rather than competition in our library. We should be helping teach our young lawyers what it is like to articulate an argument clearly while also listening and respecting the opinion of someone you might not agree with. The law is rooted in conversing with others and seeking second opinions. You have to argue and convince, but you also have to be civil. We can absolutely use the hygge mentality to create an “unclassroom-like” space to foster this growth. Rather than having four white walls with florescent lighting, we can create open spaces for discussion, discovery, and critical thinking. Rather than just imaging our space as somewhere comfortable to sit for 12 hours to memorize legal terms, we can encourage community and togetherness through our space. This concept is really exciting to me and makes me want to go back to the drawing board on our remodel proposal. I think we would be making a mistake to do this now with merely study space in mind. We need to have hygge on our minds!

I think we really need to read “Think Like a Startup” and the follow up from three years after together as a library staff. Once we have reviewed exactly what Brian Mathews is encouraging us to do, to change our mindset, I think we will start to see our library differently. We have become a little stagnant in our programming and services. I think we rely too much on outside vendors and databases to do the fun stuff when we could totally find the time and resources to do it ourselves. As a “low on the totem pole” employee, Mathews second article, “Think Like a Startup: Three Years Later” is encouraging. His advice: “Find something small that no one cares about. Spend time learning about whatever that thing is and improve it. Low cost. Low risk. Low political value. Minimal time commitment. That’s what you want.” I have been contemplating things that no one cares about and I think I want to do a DVD overhaul at our library. It’s a small collection, only about 300 DVDs, but it is outrageously underused mostly because it’s hidden in a room. I wonder which digital platforms we could utilize rather than using up our time and space housing these unused DVDs. By giving access to some sort of streaming service for our students, I think there would be many benefits. First, I do not think many of our students have a way to play DVDs anymore. New laptops rarely have a CD/DVD drive, and a DVD player/gaming system is probably low on the priority list for a law students. Having a streaming service makes these materials more accessible, possibly, costs less than individually buying DVDs for our collection.

This article offers a great layout of the different options for steaming for libraries, outlines the positive and negative sides to different services, and also explains how different libraries are utilizing services for streaming videos. Our library would have a lot to talk about and should not take this decision lightly. Along with our physical remodel, I think this would be a great step in the right direction to get going on our collection remodel that is also in desperate need of attention. By thinking about how we can adapt to what is normal and expected from our patrons, I think we have a great chance to improve our relevancy in their education. They do need us for somethings, but I think we should work to be an encouraging, open, collaborative, current, and comfortable space for them to study, grow, and relax. By overhauling our physical space and our services, we can strive to be so much more for them rather than just maintaining our standards of merely functioning.  

References:

Stephens, M. (2016). The Hygge State of Mind.
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2016/03/opinion/michael-stephens/the-hygge-state-of-mind-office-hours/

Mathews, B. (2015). Think Like A Startup: 3 Years Later.    http://www.chronicle.com/blognetwork/theubiquitouslibrarian/2015/04/06/think-like-a-startup-3-years-later/

Streaming Video in Academic Libraries

2 comments on “New Models – not just for Paris Fashion Week”

1. Annie, making the best use of space in alibrary is quite a challenging task. Amy Wickner reviewed “The New Downtown Library: Designing With Communities” by Shannon Mattern (link below) and noted that even architects have difficulty matching a community’s needs with a suitable library space.

I am wondering if the young lawyers ever video their own presentations. Would they make use of a designated space where they could practice addressing an audience, recieving feedback, and taking notes? Perhaps they have other spaces available for this but it seems like an opportunity for building skills and forming new relationships.

Amy Wickner’s blog post:
    https://hacklibraryschool.com/2015/01/21/designing-library-spaces/

2. I like your focus on making the DVD collection more visible. I think our folks well versed in UX would agree that a whole bunch of small, positive changes would enhance the experience of our users.